Initiating the breastfeeding relationship

The first hours of life are critical to establishing a successful breastfeeding relationship between you and your baby. Find out if your hospital (if delivering in a hospital) supports breastfeeding. Hospitals that do, will not offer your baby any formula. I gave birth at NYU Medical Center, which does offer the formula option. As such, when we checked in the nursers consulted with me to see if I wanted to breastfeed or formula-feed. I made it clear to them that I wanted to breastfeed exclusively. I went so far as to create a sign, printing 2 copies and placing them inside and out of the hospital bassinet.
I also told my doctors and all the nursers that I wanted to breastfeed within the first hour of delivery. My husband helped by making sure that our baby was in my room, as much as possible, the first hour after delivery. Remember that your husband, or significant other, is a good advocate for you so let him/her know your preferences.



Feel free to reprint this sign when and if needed.